“A library is the heart of a place of learning.”
~ Margaret Storrs Grierson, Smith class of 1922, Executive Secretary of the Friends of the Smith College Library, College Archivist, and first Director of the Sophia Smith Collection
Neilson Library opened for research and discovery on November 22, 1909. To celebrate the Library’s centennial and document the history of Smith's first library building, the College Archives presents this exhibition.
This web exhibition is based on a physical exhibition that was on view in the Book Arts Gallery at Neilson Library from 9 November 2009 through 30 March 2010. Both exhibits were created by Leslie Fields, Records Services Archivist at Smith College, with material from the Smith College Archives.